History of America's Credit Union
The Early Years
Founded on November 6, 1934, America's Credit Union (ACU) is proud of its historical legacy in the Garland community.
ACU was first formed as Kraft Credit Union at the Kraft Plant in Denison, Texas, to provide financial services at a lower cost for the salaried Kraft Food employees and their families. The original membership fee to join was twenty-five cents!
In 1949, the Credit Union, along with the Kraft Plant, moved to Garland. From 1949 to 1954, the Kraft plant and Credit Union were located on Beltline Road. In 1954, Kraft and the Credit Union moved to Kraft's current home on Forest Lane.
In 1955, membership was extended to hourly employees of Kraft and the name was changed to Kraft Employees Credit Union. Membership was also extended to the Kraft Foods plant in Springfield, Missouri and some of the other Kraft sales districts and plants. The first branch office was opened in the Springfield Kraft Foods plant in 1978.